A beautiful green space in the centre of Northbridge, Russell Square was named for Lord John Russell, the Secretary of State and Colonies, 1839, and Prime Minister, 1846 to 1852.
Early on in the city’s history it became known as 'Parco dei Sospire' - 'The Park of Sighs'. It gained this title as it was a favoured meeting place for the Italian community of 'Little Italy'. It was also opposite their favourite pub, the Victoria Hotel.
In October 1994 Russell Square was upgraded adding fencing and lighting, furniture and water features. Thirty sculptures were also designed and created by local artists Greg James and Drago Dadich; they add life to the square and are well worth a look.
James Street and Shenton Street
Northbridge WA 6003