Jewish memorial cemetery

Jewish Memorial Cemetery

A cemetery was opened in this area in 1867, as part of the East Perth Cemeteries, to provide consecrated burial grounds for WA’s growing Jewish community.

It is thought that about 30 people were buried in the Hebrew Cemetery before Karrakatta Cemetery came into use in 1899.

The area fell into decline and was redeveloped with the help of the Jewish community in the 1950s.

Eight surviving headstones were eventually relocated to the Jewish Memorial Cemetery, opened in 2001, which lies on the site of the original Hebrew Cemetery.